What is Discipleship?
For that matter, what are Disciples?
One possible definition of Discipleship is that it’s a process of growing in faith so we can become more Christ-Like. A disciple is someone who embraces the teachings of another and helps spread that information to others.
As disciples of Jesus Christ, that is our focus.
It’s not just limited to Jesus. A student is another way of looking at a disciple. You’re studying what the teacher is offering.
We use the capital “Disciple” to acknowledge the eleven Disciples who followed Jesus for around three years of His ministry.
Think of Discipleship as a journey. Making decisions focusing on our relationship with Jesus is that journey. Becoming more like Him in our thoughts, words, and deeds is the goal. Really, we’re talking about our behavior.
Final instructions for the Disciples
Jesus gave final instructions to His Disciples before ascending into Heaven so they could be fully prepared for their ministries.
And Jesus came and said to them, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit and teaching them to obey everything that I have commanded you. And remember, I am with you always, to the end of the age.”
~ Matthew 28:18-20
We are all working on being more Christ-Like in our lives. Creekwood offers many print and digital resources for adult small groups, youth groups, and spiritual formation groups.
Amplify is one of those resources for Discipleship. Bible Studies for groups, movies, and individual spiritual needs are just a few. This is a great place to start working on your personal discipleship path.
Outside of Amplify, we use The Work of the People as another digital resource for small group leaders.
Contact Pastor David with questions related to discipleship. Gain access to resources, lead a small group or study and explore.
Discipleship Is More Than Attending A Class
Discipleship is about living out your faith in the world. Being more Christ-Like in all our interactions. That could mean sharing the love of Christ:
- coaching a soccer team
- in meetings at work
- helping someone at the grocery store
- in the pickup line at school
It’s about taking what we learn in classes and applying it to everyday situations. It’s about Loving God, Loving Others, and Loving Self.
Discipleship & Dinner
Join us for Dinner & Discipleship, Wednesdays from 6 – 7:30 pm.
What Is This?
- A time of having a meal together and learning more about Scripture through video lessons and group discussions. We will be using Disciple Fast Track for our bible study. Disciple Fast Track, an adaptation of the original, bestselling Disciple Bible Study, provides a viable option for people seeking engagement over time with the Bible. Fast Track groups meet and discuss parts of the Old Testament and the New Testament. Participants are invited to read chapters of the Bible daily in preparation for the weekly meetings, but that is not a requirement – all persons are welcome to join at any time. Each week we’ll watch a video and discuss different parts of the bible as a group.
- September 14th will be our kick-off and overview of Disciple. The first track is 12 weeks on the Old Testament – Sept. 21 through Dec. 14 (breaking for Thanksgiving). We’ll look to early 2023 to pick up the New Testament track, which is also 12 weeks.
- Creekwood Member Linda Judd will be leading alongside pastor David. Linda has taken and led Disciple Fast Track and Disciple multiple times and is a gifted leader and teacher.
- Middle School House – Large Room
Resources for Disciple Fast Track
There is a Study Manual for this study which Creekwood will provide for participants. Please rsvp for your Study Manual by emailing Pastor David and letting him know you’re interested in joining at [email protected]
Join us by coming Wednesday, September 14th at 6 pm to learn more about what’s in store!
For any other questions or information about Discipleship & Dinner, please feel free to contact Pastor David.